More than 80% of pregnant women have trouble sleeping. At this time, it is especially difficult to fall asleep due to the constantly growing tummy. In addition, most expectant mothers suffer from insomnia, which leads to fatigue and exhaustion by the end of the day. Dealing with this is not easy, but there is still a solution. Use the best pregnancy pillows.
In the early stages of pregnancy, expectant mothers often experience drowsiness. This condition is associated with a change in hormonal levels. If during pregnancy go on about the body, in the future it can cause sleep disturbances.
As a rule, drowsiness overtakes in the third month of pregnancy. For this reason, it is important to maintain a certain sleep schedule until the third month. You need to get up early. And to quickly tone the body up – take a contrast shower and drink a cup of green tea.As the belly begins to grow, other sleep problems appear. A growing belly makes it difficult to lie down comfortably, frequent urge to go to the toilet interferes with restful sleep, and cramps may disturb. All these problems interfere with the sleep of the expectant mother, and after all, good rest is especially important during this period. Therefore, it is necessary to take seriously the problem of a pregnant woman’s sleep.
Preparing for healthy sleep
In the first trimester, when the changes in the body of the expectant mother are not yet obvious and almost imperceptible, it is enough to follow simple recommendations before going to bed. At the same time, it is important to carry them out until the very birth.
1. Raise the head of the bedTo make sleep during pregnancy most comfortable, the head should be raised in relation to the legs. It also helps prevent heartburn.
2. Ventilate the bedroomDue to hormonal changes, pregnant women sweat a lot, so it is important to ventilate (cool) the bedroom before going to bed. Ideally, train yourself to walk before bed.
3. Take a relaxing bath or showerA warm bath can help reduce anxiety. Warm water relaxes muscles and relieves tension. By the way, in this way you can remove the hypertonicity of the uterus.
4. Use a comfortable pillow and mattressA quality mattress is especially important during pregnancy. And while podiatrists say it’s healthier to sleep on a firm mattress, it has been proven that a mattress that distributes pressure evenly to all parts of the body is better than a firm one. This is very important during pregnancy. It is very important that the mattress is hypoallergenic. A good pillow can also help relieve the lower back pain associated with pregnancy.
5. Choose comfortable sleepwearChoose sleepwear made from natural fabrics. It should be free, but not huge, so as not to get confused in it.
6. Don’t drink a lot of fluidsTry not to drink a lot of tea or other drinks before bed to avoid having to frequent the bathroom.
7. Don’t eat before bed.Eating before bed is harmful to everyone, especially pregnant women. You need to eat dinner a few hours before bedtime, while the food should be light.
What sleep positions to choose
This issue becomes especially relevant starting from the second trimester of pregnancy. Sleeping on the stomach becomes impossible. Gynecologists recommend sleeping on the left side. This position is the safest during pregnancy, since in this position the fetus does not press on the liver and nothing interferes with normal blood circulation. Moreover, this posture helps to improve metabolism and blood circulation, as a result, the fetus receives more oxygen and nutrients. But experts do not recommend sleeping on your back. Since, in addition to back pain, this position during pregnancy causes a decrease in pressure, digestive and blood circulation disorders. Sleeping on your back is even dangerous for pregnant women. In this case, the fetus and uterus press on the inferior vena cava, located along the spine. This is a vessel through which venous blood is removed. Compression of a vein interferes with the flow of blood and oxygen to cells, tissues and the fetus. As a result, breathing can become difficult and the heartbeat increases, up to loss of consciousness. Since it is impossible to control your well-being during sleep, give up the supine position at the beginning of the second trimester.